Life underwater is entirely different from the life above on the ground. The world below is full of mysticism and magical and to see this world is an experience of its own. Scuba diving in Goa is one sport which lets you dive deep into the sea and feel the charm of the underwater world. India has a huge coastline providing ample places to try out this exciting sport. As this sport is slowly catching on, India has many scuba diving tourist spots. You can hang around with beautiful shoals of fish, try out some treasure hunting at the various shipwrecks sites or just sail past the coral reefs.
Few places like the Andaman and Nicobar Islands with beautiful beaches, Lakshadweep with its raw untouched beauty, Goa – the hotspot for tourists, a quaint little town of Pondicherry, Pigeon Island of Karnataka boasts of some of the enchanting and enthralling sites for scuba diving. Colorful corals, marine fauna and flora and aquatic beings make these places perfect to go for scuba diving.
Goa is emerging as the most favored destination amongst the tourists for the adventure activities. Being the dwelling place of exotic fishes, turtles, reef sharks and marine vegetation, Goa underwater world is worth exploring. With a huge coastline and favorable water conditions, Goa offers beautiful places for scuba diving. Here is the list of few of them:
- Cove of Shelter: Cove of Shelter is an impeccable diving site for the beginners. Here the depth of the water is not too much. It is enough to dive and view the underwater world even for the amateurs. You get to see little wee fishes swimming in groups, corals reefs and scary lobsters too.
- Reef of Uma Guma: Another hot spot for scuba divers in Goa is the Reef of Uma Guma. Get mesmerized with the underwater aquatic beings like the tunas, sharks, porcupinefishes etc. The depth is of almost 14 meters so you can get to see the beautiful coral reefs that present memorable visions of the place to haunt you for your life. An expert diver can dive easily at this place.
- Bay of Bounty: Yet another scuba diving destination for scuba diving learners, be it newbies, beginners, amateur divers with their trainer can look out for plenty of tiny colorful fishes with hardened corals. This is an ideal destination for learning scuba diving along with cuttlefish and sharks. At a depth of just 6 meters, this is quite convenient for beginners.
- Wreck of Suzy’s: Goan waters are witness to the wrecks of World War II vessels. People are still excited at the thought of taking a look at these wrecks. The wrecks can be viewed at a depth of about 30 meters in the company of angelfishes, parrotfishes, stonefish etc.
- The Jetty: Grand Island is a haven for the scuba divers. Jetty is to the north-west of the Grand Island and offers a depth of almost 6-8 meters. It boasts of a mesmerizing experience underwater along with the lionfish and baby mullets.
- The locker of Davy Jones: Strongly recommended only for experts and professional divers since the currents here are way too strong for an amateur to handle. Indeed it involves thrilling adventure.
The Scuba Diving in Goa costs as per the activities you want to indulge in. You need to follow the trainer’s instruction thoroughly. All the diving equipment, fins, masks will be provided to you. Generally, one dive is of about 40 – 45 minute. Oxygen kit and First Aid is available on site. Some safety rules:
- Dive in a company. Avoid going alone.
- Do not hold breath. Breathe normally
- Begin with small steps. Try shallow waters first
- Double check the equipment for any malfunctioning before diving.
- Do not pollute the abode of the marine life. It is the place of their living.